Thursday, June 24, 2010

Container Garden Update!



I have been meaning for some time to post an update on my container garden experiment for some time now, but as per usual, the kickoff of summer has had me running all over the New England coast! Not to say that I’m not having a blast doing it, but it has certainly kept me busy! So far the results have been predominantly successful, and Kyle and I have been able to enjoy some wonderful fresh herbs in a lot of our cooking (see Toasted Almond Pesto over on The Humble Table). My arugula didn’t fare as well as hoped (it may have been over exposed to sun & over crowded in the pot) and I had to restart my sugar snap peas (same problem w/ over crowding- I have a tendency to do that!), but all in all I’ve been very happy with my results!

Since the first post on the garden experiment back in April, I have also added tomatoes to the windowsill and they are just starting to give off signs of fruiting. I couldn’t believe how quickly they shot up, and I just staked them on Sunday, so they should start producing any day now! I planted four heirloom cherry tomatoes (in one very large pot) that have beautiful curling new leaves with a vibrant green hue. I also planted four heirloom Lemon Boy yellow tomato plants, and I can’t wait to start enjoying these beauties- the stalks are already so tall!

I think I may also pick up a small pepper plant (a little too late to start from seedling @ this point) over the weekend to take the place of the arugula pot, as I really enjoy fresh hot peppers in all sorts of applications. Hopefully I’ll be better with updating in the future, and I can’t wait to work with my homegrown produce in the kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment